Grilled Beef Koftas with Herbed Lemon Yogurt & Pickled Onions
- 1 lb Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 1/4 cup Spanish onion (grated)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Italian parsley (chopped, divided)
- 2 cloves Fresh garlic (finely grated)
- 2 Lemons (1 zested; 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed juice; 1 halved, divided)
- 3 tbsps Fresh mint (chopped, divided plus extra)
- 1 1/2 tsps Ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Greek yogurt (1-7 ounce container, 5% or 2%)
- 3 Tomatoes (sliced into small wedges)
- 4 Pocketless pitas (warmed)
- PICKLED ONIONS:
- 1/2 cup Rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Black peppercorns
- 2 tbsps Granulated sugar
- 1 Small red onion (thinly sliced)
*Serving calculations based on 16oz beef products.
For 12oz beef products reduce serving size by 1/4.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
Serving size based on 1 cup (242g)
Recipe credit: Shereen Pavlides, host of Cooking with Shereen and cookbook author.
1. Add the ground beef, onion, 2 tablespoons parsley, garlic, lemon zest, 2 tablespoon mint, cumin, cinnamon, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper into a large bowl and mix well until all the spices are evenly combined.
2. Spray four pre-soaked wooden skewers with non-stick cooking spray. Divide the meat mixture evenly among the four skewers, wrapping the meat around the skewers into 5 1/2 inch long torpedos. Place them onto a parchment paper lined plate and chill in the refrigerator, about 30 minutes. It helps tighten the meat onto the skewers, so it doesn’t fall off when grilling.
3. Heat the grill over medium heat.
4. Add the yogurt, 2 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1 tablespoon mint and season with salt and pepper. Stir until combined and place into a small serving bowl.
5. Remove the skewers from the refrigerator and drizzle the meat with a little oil on both sides. Oil the grates of the grill and add the skewers. Grill until lightly charred and cooked medium doneness, about 8 minutes, turning halfway through grilling. Add the halved lemon onto the grill, cut side down and grill until lightly charred and warmed, about 1 minute. It makes the platter pretty and the juice releases easier from the warmth. Remove the lemons and koftas to rest, about 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, arrange the tomatoes and pickled onions onto a medium platter and season with salt and pepper. Scatter fresh parsley and mint leaves over top, because you’re fancy.
Arrange the koftas and lemon halves on the platter and squeeze the lemon halves over the meat and drizzle with olive oil all over.
7. Place the yogurt bowl onto the platter for dipping and serve with warmed pita on the side for dipping and/or for wrapping the koftas and vegetables.
How to make the pickled onions: Stir the vinegar, water, peppercorns, shugá and 1 teaspoon salt into a medium bowl until combined. Separate the onion slices and submerge them into the pickling liquid and cover. You can prepare this several hours to a couple days ahead and refrigerate.
*If using wooden skewers, soak four of them in water for 1 hour to overnight.
Click below to watch the video