- 1 lb Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Small onion (chopped, about 1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup Cooked chickpeas (drained, rinsed)
- 3/4 cup Italian parsley leaves (packed, plus extra, divided)
- 3/4 cup Cilantro leaves (packed, plus extra, divided)
- 1 tbsp Ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 2 tbsps Olive oil (plus extra)
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 3 tsps Toasted sesame seeds
- Avocado oil (spray preferred)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 Fresh pitas
- 4 Ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 English cucumber (peeled, chopped)
- 1 Small red onion (thinly sliced)
- YOGURT TAHINA:
- 1 tsp Finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsps Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Lemons (halved, divided)
- 1 Large garlic clove (finely grated)
- Plain Greek yogurt (1 7-ounce container)
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 2 tbsps Italian parsley (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsps Water
*Serving calculations based on 12oz beef products.
For 10oz beef products reduce serving size by 1/4.
- Prep Time: 45 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 65 Minutes
Serving size based on 1 cup (242g)
Recipe credit: Shereen Pavlides, host of Cooking with Shereen and cookbook author.
1. Add onion, garlic, chickpeas, 3/4 cup parsley, 3/4 cup cilantro, cumin, coriander, cayenne and 2 tablespoons olive oil into a food processor fitted with the steel blade attachment. Season with salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Remove to a bowl and add the ground beef and baking powder. The baking powder makes them fluffy and tender. Mix until well combined. Cover and refrigerate to set, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
How to make the yogurt tahina:
2. Add lemon zest and garlic into a medium bowl and pour the lemon juice over the garlic and stir. The acid mellows the raw gálick. Add the yogurt, tahini, parsley and season with salt. Whisk until smooth. The tahina will be thick, donta you worry! Whisk in the water to thin, as needed, until loose yet creamy and smooth.
3. Heat one side of the grill over medium heat.
4. Add the sesame seeds to the beef mixture and season with salt and pepper. Mix well until evenly combined. Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop the falafel beef mixture and form into patties. Makes 14 to 15. Brush both sides of the patties with olive oil.
5. Rub or spray the grill grates with avocado oil or any high smoke point oil. Add the falafel beef patties and lemon halves, cut side down onto the medium heated side of the grill and cook until the patties are medium doneness, 1 - 2 minutes on each side and the lemon halves are lightly charred and warmed, about 1 minute. Remove to a plate, squeeze the warmed lemon juice over the patties. Let rest 5 - 8 minutes. Keep warm.
6. Wrap the stack of pita in foil and to fully cover. Place them onto the non-lite side of the grill and lower the lid. Heat until warmed through, 5 - 10 minutes. Keep wrapped in foil until ready to serve.
Here’s two ways to serve them:
7. Cut the pita in half and fill the pocket or wrap the pita around 3 beef falafels, seasoned tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. Drizzle yogurt tahina over the top and garnish with parsley and cilantro. Because you’re fancy!