Pasta e Fagioli
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 50 Minutes
- 1 lb Laura's Lean Ground Beef (92% lean)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 Carrots (chopped)
- 2 Celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 tsps Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes (28-ounce can)
- 4 cups Beef broth (plus more if needed)
- 2 tsps Granulated sugar (optional)
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cups Small-shaped pasta of choice
- 1 can Pinto beans (15-ounce can, drained, rinsed)
- 1 can Great northern or cannellini beans (15-ounce can, drained, rinsed)
- Freshly grated or shredded parmesan or Romano cheese for serving
- Chopped fresh parsley for serving (optional)
*Serving calculations based on 12oz beef products.
For 10oz beef products reduce serving size by 1/4.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
Serving size based on 1 cup (242g)
1. Brown the beef in a large stock pot or saucepan over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in the same pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and stir to coat. Cook for 1 minute, until the herbs are fragrant.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, sugar (if using), bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Return the beef to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain.
5. Add the pasta to the pot with both bean varieties. If the mixture is thicker than you want, add more broth as desired. Simmer for 2 minutes to heat through. Remove the bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
6. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve with extra cheese on the side.
Recipe credit: Robin Miller
Select your email service