Campfire Italian Ground Beef Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hours
Total Time: 80 Minutes
- 1 lb Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 3/4 cup Uncooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 2 Medium onions (diced)
- 3 cloves Garlic (diced)
- 1 lb Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 tbsp Dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Dried basil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can Petite diced tomatoes (30-ounce can)
- 1/2 cup Shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 7 Large bell peppers
*Serving calculations based on 12oz beef products.
For 10oz beef products reduce serving size by 1/4.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hours
- Total Time: 80 Minutes
Serving size based on 1 cup (242g)
1. Place quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse with water.
2. In a fire safe pot add 1 1/2 cups water with your rinsed quinoa. Cover pot, bring to boil and then reduce heat to low and continue cooking until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
3. Remove from heat and transfer quinoa to a large mixing bowl.
4. Cut tops off the bell peppers, remove stem and dice remaining pieces of bell pepper. Reserve.
5. Remove seeds and membranes from peppers.
6. Place peppers in your 12-inch Dutch oven, cut side up, and make sure the tops of the peppers are below the rim of the Dutch oven. Remove hollowed peppers and reserve.
7. Heat Dutch oven over medium high heat and add olive oil. When oil is hot add diced onions and bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are softened about 5-8 minutes.
8. Stir in garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
9. Add ground beef and Italian sausage and continue cooking and breaking down meat until crumbly in texture and cooked through.
10. Stir in dried oregano, basil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (if using).
11. Stir in canned tomatoes and remove from heat.
12. Add meat mixture to the quinoa mixture and mix completely.
13. Quickly rinse and wipe down Dutch oven.
14. In chimney starter, light up 30 charcoal briquettes.
15. Place hollowed out peppers, cut side up, inside Dutch oven and fill up each pepper with meat mixture.
16. Top each stuffed pepper with shredded parmesan cheese, finishing with a generous helping of shredded mozzarella cheese.
17. Place lid on Dutch oven and transfer to a fire ring or fire safe container.
18. When briquettes are mostly gray (about 15 minutes), place 12 briquettes evenly underneath the Dutch oven and 18 briquettes evenly on top.
19. Bake until cheese is browned, approximately 45 minutes.