Taiwanese Meat Sauce
Back To Recipe List
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 50 Minutes
- 1 lb Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 1 lb Noodles or rice
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tbsp Dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 tsps Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 Star anise
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 tsps Sesame oil
- 5 Shallots (finely minced)
- 2 cloves Garlic (finely minced)
- 4 ozs Fresh shiitake mushrooms (diced)
- 1 Green onion stalk (chopped)
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
1. Cook the noodles or rice according to package instructions. Drain. Add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil to noodles to prevent sticking.
2. In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, Shaoxing rice wine, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, regular soy sauce, five-spice powder, and brown sugar. Set aside.
3. Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add in the sesame oil. Add in shallot and garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Push aside the shallot to one side. Stir in the ground beef and break it to smaller pieces. Cook for 2 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and star anise. Toss everything in the wok together.
4. Pour in the broth/soy sauce mixture and bring to a simmer. Adjust the seasoning with soy sauce, if needed. Cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will still be very thin.
5. Stir in the green onions. Serve the ground beef mixture over rice or noodles.
To make in an instant pot: press saute and wait until the panel shows hot. Add the sesame oil, shallot, and garlic. Saute for 10 seconds or until fragrant. Add the beef, mushrooms, and break it further to smaller pieces. Saute for another 3 minutes. Add the broth/ soy sauce mixture and star anise. Seal the instant pot lid and valve. Press manual on high for 30 minutes, then do a quick release for 10 minutes. Stir in the green onion and serve the meat mixture over rice or noodles.
Recipe credit: Linda Kurniadi from "Simply Healthyish" online blog