Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 55 Minutes
Total Time: 80 Minutes
- 1 lb Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground turkey
- 2 cups Cooked white rice
- 1 Head of cabbage (large)
- 1 White onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves Fresh garlic (chopped)
- 4 Large carrots (grated)
- Water, chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Sour cream (optional)
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 Bay leaves
- Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Fresh dill to taste (optional)
*Serving calculations based on 12oz beef products.
For 10oz beef products reduce serving size by 1/4.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 55 Minutes
- Total Time: 80 Minutes
Serving size based on 1 cup (242g)
1. In a large bowl, mix 1lb ground beef, 1 lb ground turkey, 2 cups cooked white rice, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp paprika, salt, and pepper. When fully combined, set aside.
2. Wash cabbage well, cut the core out as well as you can, and bring water to a boil in a large pot. Place the cabbage into boiling water and let it sit for 3-4 mins so that it can soften. Once it has softened, take it out carefully. When it has cooled down a bit, pull the leaves away from the stalk making sure not to rip them.
3. Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté chopped onion, garlic, and shredded carrots in a pan until onions are golden (about 5-7 mins). Season with salt and pepper.
4. Start assembling cabbage rolls. Take a cabbage leaf and cut the rib down a bit so that it’s easier to roll up. Put about 2 tbsp of the meat filling towards the bottom of the cabbage leaf and roll it up like a burrito. (Tuck the bottom in, then each side, then roll completely.)
5. Repeat step 4 until you’ve used all your cabbage leaves and meat filling. If there is extra filling, make mini meatballs.
6. Get a large pot and add half of the sautéed onion and carrot mixture to the bottom. Assemble the cabbage rolls on top in a single layer. Continue to layer like this until you use all the cabbage rolls and sautéed veggies.
7. Fill the pot with water or broth until the cabbage rolls are completely submerged. Add bay leaves.
8. Cook on medium/high heat for about 40 mins or until the meat is fully cooked.
9. Serve with sour cream, fresh dill, and red chili flakes if you want a bit of spice!
Recipe credit: Nicole Baranchuk
Select your email service