Jen Widerstrom's Slow Cooker Meatballs with Baked Sweet Potato Chips
Back To Recipe List
- 1 1/4 lbs Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 Small onion (minced)
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup Panko or regular bread crumbs (add more as needed)
- 1 Large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 tsp Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- 1 Marinara sauce (13 ounce jar)
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 Medium sweet potato (sliced thin and evenly)
- Olive oil (for brushing)
- Salt to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 6 Hours
- Total Time: 400 Minutes
1. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, garlic, panko, egg, Parmesan, tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Mix using a fork until combined. Do not overmix. If the mixture seems too wet, add 1 tablespoon bread crumbs at a time until it's easy to handle and form into balls.
2. Pour a small amount of marinara sauce into the slow cooker - just enough to cover the bottom. As you form the meatballs, place them in the slow cooker. I make larger meatballs (slightly larger than a golf ball comes to about 12). Pour the rest of the sauce over the meatballs and cook on low for 6 to 6 1/2 hours (see note).
Sweet Potato Chips:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lightly spray a baking sheet with the cooking spray. Lay the sweet potato slices in one even layer on the baking sheet.
3. Brush the slices lightly with oil and lightly sprinkle evenly with salt and garlic powder. Flip the slices and repeat on the other side.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges are browned and crisp.
Place the meatballs on the plate with the sweet potatoes and serve.
Note: Leftover meatballs are freezer friendly!
Recipe credit: Jen Widerstrom, from her book, "Diet Right for Your Personality Type"