- 1 lb Laura's 92% Lean Ground Beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage (Hot or spicy Italian sausage)
- 2 tbsps Olive or avocado oil
- 1 Onion (large, diced)
- 5 Garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 3 cups Tomatoes (28 ounce can, crushed)
- 2 cups Tomato sauce (16 ounce can)
- 1 Tomato paste (6 ounce can)
- 2 tbsps Brown sugar
- Salt (1-2 teaspoons, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsps Basil (dried)
- 2 tsps Italian seasoning
- Crushed red pepper flakes (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, optional)
1. In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook until onions are softened and slightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.
2. Once the onions are cooked, add the Italian sausage and ground beef. Cook until it's no longer pink, breaking it up with a spoon.
3. Once browned, drain any excess juices as needed. Return to heat and pour in the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce.
4. Add tomato paste, sugar, salt, pepper, dried basil, Italian Seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Stir to make sure everything is combined. Turn the heat to low and simmer for at least 1 and ½ to 2 hours to reduce the water and enhance the flavour. Stir occasionally, tasting the sauce and adjusting the seasonings to your preference.
FREEZING TIPS: This recipe can be doubled or even tripled (use a bigger pot) and half can be kept in the freezer. To freeze the sauce: allow it to cool completely, then pour it into large mason jars leaving one inch at the top or a freezer safe baggie and stack them up in the freezer. Transfer the sauce to the refrigerator to thaw out the night before you plan to have it for dinner, then reheat it on the stove top.