- 1 1/2 lbs Laura's 92% Lean Ground Beef
- 1 pkg Corn tortillas
- 8 Green tomatillos (large)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 2 tsps Granulated garlic
- 2 tsps Salt
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 oz Sour cream
- 6 ozs Monterey Jack or Asadero cheese (shredded)
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a deep pan add the water, tomatillos, 1 onion, cilantro, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp garlic. Cook until it boils for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for additional 5 minutes.
3. Pour everything from the pan into a blender and blend well.
4. Next, add the avocado, sour cream and 1 tablespoon of cilantro. Blend until creamy.
5. In a separate skillet , add remaining onions, garlic and salt and cook for 2 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until done at 160 degrees.
6. First warm the tortillas with a little canola oil. Lay the warmed tortilla flat and add 3 ounces of spinach mixture down the middle. Roll the tortilla and cover with the sauce you just made. Add a little cheese down the center on top of the tortilla and bake for several minutes until cheese is melted.
7. Serve with Spanish rice, slices of avocado and a touch of sour cream.
½ cup canola oil
½ cup flour
2 tablespoons chile paste
1 cup cold water, divided
1/2 cup chicken broth, more if desired
1 tablespoon chicken base
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon mexican oregano
1. In a large saute pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and bring the mixture to a simmer, then whisk in the chile paste. Slowly whisk in ½ cup of the cold water, followed by the chicken broth. Whisk in the chicken base, cumin, garlic powder, mexican oregano and remaining water, then remove from heat.
2. Pour the mixture into a sauce pan and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook the sauce for about 10 minutes to marry the flavors, adding additional broth to thin, if desired.
This makes about 1½ cups salsa roja.
Recipe credit: Christy Vega
Recipe video link: https://youtu.be/6G8cjxBh9fE