- 1 lb Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- 1 Small onion (diced)
- 5 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tsps Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups Marinara sauce (divided)
- 5 cups Shredded whole milk mozzarella (divided)
- Pepperoni slices (40 to 60 slices, divided)
- Fresh oregano leaves to garnish
- PIZZA DOUGH:
- 1 pkg Active dry yeast (1/4 ounce packet)
- 1 tsp Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Warm water (110 degrees F)
- 3 1/2 cups All-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 2 tsps Kosher salt
- 1 cup Room temperature water (about 70 degrees F)
- 3 tbsps Olive oil (plus extra)
*Serving calculations based on 16oz beef products.
For 12oz beef products reduce serving size by 1/4.
- Prep Time: 45 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 65 Minutes
Serving size based on 1 cup (242g)
Recipe credit: Shereen Pavlides, host of Cooking with Shereen and cookbook author.
How to make the dough:
1. Stir yeast, shugá and warm water into a small bowl and let set to bloom until the mixture becomes creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir 3 1/2 cups (442 grams) flour and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook attachment.
3. Add the yeast mixture into a medium pourable pitcher with the room temperature water and 3 tablespoons olive oil and stir.
4. Pour the yeast mixture in a slow steady stream into the flour over low speed and knead the dough until smooth, about 2 minutes.
5. Remove to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until it is no longer sticky and when pinched with two fingers feels tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers, about 2 minutes, lightly dusting with flour as needed.
6. Grab a large bowl that leaves enough room to proof the dough and thinly coat it with olive oil. Add the dough to the bowl and lightly brush the top with oil, so it doesn’t form a skin. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place into a cold oven and turn on the light to proof and double in size, about 1 hour. Remove and punch down (aka: punch back) the dough, then remove to a lightly floured surface and divide evenly in half.
7. Form each dough piece into a dough ball and loosely wrap in plastic wrap, clinging to the dough so it doesn’t form a skin and wrap to prevent any air from getting to the dough, but not too tight, so it has a some room to rise. Leave at room temperature while prepping the toppings or you can refrigerate overnight.
Prepare the toppings:
1. Heat one side of the grill over medium-high heat and the other side over medium heat.
Once the grill is well heated, add a 10-inch cast iron skillet onto the medium heated side of the grill. Add the oil and onions and sauté until tender crisp, about 2 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and sauté until you can smell the gálick, about 30 seconds. Add the ground beef, oregano, season with salt and pepper and sauté the meat until fully browned, while constantly breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, 3 - 4 minutes. Remove from the grill. Keep the lid down to create an oven effect.
3. Lightly brush a thin coating of olive oil onto a 14 or 16-inch pizza pan or baking sheet. The dough will be slightly sticky, donta you worry. Working one at a time, dip the dough ball into a bowl of flour, to coat the entire surface on both sides, remove to a lightly floured, dusted surface and roll out into a 13 to 14-inch circle and place onto the pizza pan or baking sheet.
4. Ladle half of the marinara over the pizza dough, leaving a 1-inch border for the crust. Sprinkle with half of the cheese, scatter half of the ground beef and pepperoni slices.
5. Place the pizza pan or sheet pan onto the medium side of the grill and lower the lid. Grill until the dough is cooked and lightly golden on the bottom and the cheese is melty, 10 - 14 minutes. Cradle the heat between medium and low, as needed to control the browning on the bottom of the crust. Remove the pizza from the pizza pan or sheet pan and place directly onto the medium heated side of the grill grates to lightly grill the bottom of the crust, 30 to 40 seconds.
6. Remove and let set, 1 - 2 minutes. Garnish with oregano, because you’re fancy and cut into 6 slices. Repeat the second pizza pie.
Click below to watch the video