Beef Mushroom & Barley Soup
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 2 lbs Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 1 lb Wild mushrooms (Shitake, Portobello, Cremini; sliced)
- 1 cup White onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes (canned, chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 qts Beef broth (instant bullion is fine)
- 4 cups Water
- 1 Bay leaves
- 1/2 oz Fresh basil
- 1 Fresh thyme (sprig, picked leaves only)
- 1/2 oz Italian parsley
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Carrots (diced)
- 1 cup Celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup Dried barley
- Salt and pepper to taste
*Serving calculations based on 16oz beef products.
For 12oz beef products reduce serving size by 1/4.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
Serving size based on 1 cup (242g)
1. Soak the barley in water to remove dirt and then rinse off and set aside.
2. Season the beef with salt and pepper, add oil and brown in a large soup pot.
3. When meat is browned, add the beef broth, water, bay leaf, basil, thyme, and parsley to the pot and bring to boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to low.
4. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery until the onions are translucent. Add sliced mushrooms, tomato and barley.
5. Simmer until the barley is tender, if the soup gets dry before the barley is cooked just add water and cook down.
6. Serve in a large bowl with your favorite toasted bread and some chopped herbs on top.
Recipe credit: Chef Ralph Scamardella
Click below to watch the video
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
- Calories: 338.00
- Carbohydrate Content: 19.50g
- Cholesterol Content: 86.00mg
- Fat Content: 15.00g
- Protein Content: 35.00g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7.00g
- Sodium Content: 580.00mg
- Sugar Content: 4.00g
Estimated values generated by Cook'n Software.