- 2 lbs Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- 2 tbsps Minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Onion (diced)
- 1 1/2 cups Green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 lb Chorizo
- 1/4 cup White vinegar
- 2 tbsp Salt (1 for beef and 1 for tortillas)
- 1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Cumin powder
- 2 cups Fresh salsa
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, cilantro
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- 1 1/4 cups Maseca
- 2 tbsps Shortening
- 1 cup Water
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 55 Minutes
1. In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic, onion and green pepper until onions are soft and translucent. Transfer onion mixture to a bowl and set aside. In the same pot, heat the remaining olive oil and brown the ground beef.
2. Season with salt, add chili powder, and cook, stirring, until chili is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and chorizo, breaking up with the back of a spoon and scraping up any browned bits from pot, until meat is browned, 12–15 minutes. Stir in salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until most of liquid evaporates and beef is tender, 15–20 minutes. Season beef picadillo with salt.
3. Spoon beef picadillo into shells and top with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Do ahead: Beef picadillo can be made 1 day ahead. Let cool; cover and chill. Reheat before serving.
Let simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Ingredients: Maseca, Salt, Water, & Shortening.
1. Mix dry ingredients together.
2. Add water and shortening to dry mixture.
3. Mix hand hand until even throughout.
4. Form into 1-2 ounce balls for tortilla press.
5. Griddle at 450 degrees for about two minutes per side until slightly golden.