Baked Acorn Squash & Ground Beef
Back To Recipe List
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 lb Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion
- 6 Acorn squash
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp orange peel
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 4 oz fresh multigrain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup blanched, slivered almonds
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh rosemary and sage for garnish
*12 oz beef products only - Reduce serving size by 1/4.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
These are truly fall flavors. The mix of the warm spices might surprise some people, but they blend beautifully with the beef and the squash. The currants add a surprising hint of sweetness, and the almonds provide a touch of great crunch.
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Cut each acorn squash in half (stem to tip) and scoop seeds and pulp into trash. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray. Place squash onto pan, cut side down and bake 25 minutes, until soft.
2. While squash cooks, heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add beef to skillet and cook until all pink is gone. Sprinkle allspice, clove, cinnamon, orange peel and red pepper flakes over all and cook briefly, until fragrant. Stir in currants and deglaze pan with red wine. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Stir in bread crumbs, almonds, eggs and most of parsley (reserve some for garnish). Remove squash and turn them cut side up. Divide beef filling evenly among the squash.
3. Return to oven for about 15 minutes. Remove, sprinkle with any remaining parsley, rosemary or sage and serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
- Calories: 266.00
- Total Fat Content: 11.00g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3.00g
- Cholesterol Content: 110.00mg
- Sodium Content: 164.00mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 17.00g
- Sugar Content: 6.00g
- Protein Content: 22.00g