Chef Zappas' Bolognese Sauce
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 60 Minutes
- 1 lb Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion (medium)
- 2 Celery ribs
- 2 Carrots (medium)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Red chili flakes
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 cup Dry red wine
- 2 cups Beef broth
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes (28 ounce; San Marzano style)
- 2 tsps Parsley (chopped)
- 2 tsps Basil (chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
*Serving calculations based on 16oz beef products.
For 12oz beef products reduce serving size by 1/4.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 60 Minutes
Serving size based on 1 cup (242g)
1. Peel and rough chop the onion, carrots, and celery and pulse in a food processer until it is a coarse texture, about the size of a grain of rice.
2. Peel and slice the garlic very thin from top to bottom.
3. In a heavy bottom pot/pan heat the olive oil until it simmers on medium high heat. Add processed onions, carrots, and celery and cook over medium heat until ingredients caramelize. Move mixture to the outer edge of the pan and brown the meat in the center of the pan. Then mix the meat with the onions, carrots, and celery. Add garlic, bay leaf, and chili flake. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant.
4. Add the red wine and cook until it reduces by half.
5. Add the beef broth and cook until it reduces by half.
6. Add the tomatoes and simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally for about one hour. Keep checking to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan and check the seasoning for salt and pepper.
7. Finally, add the chopped parsley and basil and check seasoning one more time. Add to any pasta of choice and top with cheese if desired.
Recipe credit: Executive Chef George Zappas
Recipe photo: Andrew Doench