Lightened Up Ziti Bake
- 1 lb Laura's Lean Ground Beef (96% lean)
- 12 ozs Uncooked ziti or whole wheat ziti
- 1 cup Fat free ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup Reduced fat or fat free mozzarella cheese (shredded, divided)
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Medium onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 can Tomato sauce (15-ounce can)
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes (28-ounce can)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsps Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 3 tbsps Fresh basil (thinly sliced, divided)
*Serving calculations based on 12oz beef products.
For 10oz beef products reduce serving size by 1/4.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
Serving size based on 1 cup (242g)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta according to package. Cook al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with non stick cooking and add onion cooking over medium heat. Cook until for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
4. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
5. Add lean ground beef and cook until browned. Add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, tomato sauce, corn starch, crushed tomatoes, and sugar.
6. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.( about 8-10 minutes)
7. Remove from heat and stir in 2 Tbsp fresh basil or 2 tsp dried basil.
8. In a small mixing bowl combine ricotta cheese, 1 Tbsp fresh basil or 1 tsp dry basil, and parmesan cheese.
9. Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce on the bottom of prepared casserole dish.
10. Layer the sauce with half of the noodles.
11. Top with half of the remaining sauce. Spread evenly over noodles.
12. Spread ricotta cheese mixture evenly over sauce.
13. Add remaining noodles and then remaining sauce. Spreading evenly.
14. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese over the top.
15. Sprinkle additional fresh basil over the top, if desired.
16. Spray a piece of foil lightly with cooking spray, cover ziti and bake for 18-20 minutes.
17. Uncover the foil and continue to cook another 5 minutes or until bubbly.
Recipe credit: The Pound Dropper
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
- Calories: 231.00
- Carbohydrate Content: 28.00g
- Fat Content: 4.00g
- Fiber Content: 4.00g
- Protein Content: 20.00g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.00g
- Sodium Content: 184.00mg
- Sugar Content: 3.00g
Estimated values generated by Cook'n Software.
Select your email service