One-Pot Ground Beef & Potato Stew Recipe
This savory and cozy ground beef and potato stew recipe is comfort food at its finest. Everything is cooked in one pot with little fuss and big flavor.
Look no further than my super-duper easy one-pot ground beef and potato stew if you’re on the hunt for a delicious and easy weeknight meal.
This recipe cooks up fast and tastes savory and delicious. It offers a big beefy flavor with the comfort of diced potatoes, onions, and carrots. It’s seasoned with just a few spices that make this dish a tasty meal the entire family can sink its teeth into.
And best of all, this recipe requires only naturally gluten-free ingredients. We can all agree that naturally gluten-free meals are the best!
What You’ll Need
Gather the following ingredients to make this delicious one-pot ground beef and potato stew. Here’s what you’ll need:
Vegetable Oil: You can use any vegetable oil of your choice. I used avocado oil because it’s a high-heat oil with a neutral flavor.
Ground Beef: Purchase one pound of Laura’s Lean 96% Lean/4% Fat Ground Beef. I like using lean ground beef so the stew doesn’t taste greasy. If using higher-fat ground beef, drain the fat after browning the meat. You can also use another ground meat of your choosing.
Onions: Finely dice 1 medium yellow onion.
Garlic: Mince 3-4 garlic cloves.
Seasonings: Gather 1 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of oregano, a generous pinch of salt, and 4-5 cracks of fresh ground black pepper for this recipe.
Yellow Potatoes: Dice four medium-sized yellow potatoes (e.g., Yukon gold potatoes). You can leave the skins on.
Carrots: Peel three large carrots and dice them into bite-sized chunks.
Tomato Sauce: Gather 1/2 cup of canned tomato sauce.
Tomato Paste: Ready 1 1/2 tbsp of tomato paste for the recipe. Don’t skip the tomato paste. It adds tons of savory flavor.
Hot Sauce or Red Pepper Flakes (optional): To add a little heat, add 2-3 tbsp hot sauce or 1 tsp of red pepper flakes to the recipe. Adjust the amount you add to taste. I used True Made Foods No-Sugar Sriracha and thought it added a wonderful spicy kick to the overall recipe.
Water or Broth: You’ll need 3-4 cups of water or broth.
How to Make Ground Beef & Potato Stew
Here’s how to make this simple dish that offers big and bold flavors:
(1) Brown the ground beef in vegetable oil, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Once it’s brown, add the onions, garlic, and seasonings.
(2) Add the potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and hot sauce or red pepper flakes and stir everything together.
(3) Add enough water or broth to cover all the ingredients barely. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, lower the heat to a rolling boil and cook for 30-35 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 5-10 minutes to cook off excess liquid, if needed.
(4) Taste and add more salt, if needed, and top with chopped parsley (optional).
Why We Love This Dish
We love this one-pot ground beef and potato dish for the following reasons:
It’s Budget-Friendly: Food costs are at an all-time high these days, and you can expect to pay 2-3 times more for foods labeled gluten-free. This recipe is made with naturally gluten-free ingredients and feeds a family of four for under $20.
It’s Big on Flavor: This recipe offers a big beefy flavor thanks to Laura’s Lean ground beef. Using lean ground beef offers all the beefy flavor and none of the excess fat.
It’s Easy: Everything cooks together inside one big pot making this a super easy weeknight meal you’ll make time and time again.
It’s Naturally Gluten-Free: All the ingredients in this recipe are naturally gluten-free, so there’s no worry about hidden gluten.
It’s Good For You Comfort Food: This meat and potatoes meal contains less than 400 calories per serving yet makes for an all-around warm and cozy dinner.
One-Pot Ground Beef & Potato Stew
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves minced
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
• Fresh ground pepper to taste
• 4 yellow potatoes (Yukon gold) diced
• 3 large carrots peeled and diced
• 1/2 cup tomato sauce
• 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
• 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional (ok to use 2-3 tbsp of hot sauce instead)
• 3-4 cups water or broth
• parsley chopped, for garnish
1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef to the pan and break it up with a wooden spatula. Cook the beef until it's fully browned, about 8-10 minutes.
2. Add the onion, garlic, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix and cook for another 2-4 minutes.
3. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, red chili flakes (or hot sauce), potatoes, and carrots to the pot. Stir the ingredients until the potatoes .and carrots are coated in the tomato sauce.
4. Pour water or broth over the mixture until all the ingredients are just barely covered. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and simmer on low (rolling boil) for 35 minutes. Remove the cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes to thicken the sauce and cook off excess water.
5. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy immediately.
Spice It Up: You can spice up this recipe by adding chili pepper flakes or siracha (hot sauce) to the mix. For extra heat, add 1 tsp of chili powder.
About the Potatoes: I recommend using yellow Yukon gold potatoes. They have a creamy texture and are less starchy than russet potatoes. The starch from the potatoes will help thicken the water or broth.
Ground Meat: Ground beef offers a delicious beefy flavor, but you could also use ground turkey.
Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 615mg | Potassium: 1478mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 8200IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 5mg
Good For You Gluten-Free
Article link: Good For You Gluten-Free Website