- 1 carrot
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 1/4 lb Laura's Lean Beef Top Round (see Roasting Instructions for other cuts)
- 2 clv garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- bay leaf
- 1 cup of water or broth
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 135 Minutes
- Total Time: 150 Minutes
1. Soak clay pot in water for 10 minutes. While it is soaking, peel and slice carrot in rounds.
2. Chop tomato, onion and celery in bite size pieces.
3. Pat roast dry. Squeeze garlic (through a press) over roast, add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place in clay pot. Assemble vegetables around meat. Add bay leaf and 1 cup of water or broth.
5. For clay pot cooking, place in a cold oven, and turn to 400 degrees. A conventional dutch oven or roaster pan may be preheated.
6. A good rule of thumb for cooking is about 1 hour per pound. Try to avoid opening the pot frequently, as it allows moisture to escape. When done, the meat should be tender and almost falling apart.
7. Cool slightly and slice across the grain. Serve the broth and vegetables in a dish to spoon over meat.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
- Calories: 171.00
- Fat Content: 4.70g
- Protein Content: 28.80g
- Fiber Content: 1.10g
- Iron: 17.20mg
- Sodium Content: 69.00mg