Tips for Healthier Meals Everyday
We understand that life can be hectic and it can be challenging to find the time to make elaborate meals. Here are some simple tips to help you plan and prepare ahead so you are able to enjoy homemade meals more often. These tips will help you get better organized in order to make healthier foods a reality. Enjoy!
Make a weekly menu plan that includes healthy meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Make your grocery list based on your weekly menu plan. This may seem obvious but people who don’t do this end up wasting time and money shopping for ingredients they don’t need and are also tempted by not-so-healthy "extras."
- Organize your list in the order the foods are found in the store.
- Stock up on healthy foods like lean meats when they are on sale.
- Involve your children in the planning, shopping and meal preparation so they, too, are invested in their healthy food choices.
- Batch cooking larger quantities is an easy way to save time, alleviate the stress of cooking during the week, and get your family eating healthy. Homemade soups are a delicious option that can be put into individual containers for the week ahead. Lasagna is another good choice. Make two pans and freeze one for later.
- Chop produce and divide it into individual baggies that are ready to grab and go for snacks or lunch - an easy way to take healthy foods with you.
- Packaged bags of pre-washed salad are a convenient, time-saving option worth the extra cost to get a daily serving of veggies onto your plate.
- Use healthy dinner leftovers for a healthy meal the next day.
Do something with the time and money you've saved!
- Use the extra time you gain from planning and prepping ahead to exercise. Not only will you feel better, it’s a great stress reliever.
- Treat yourself to dinner out. It’s okay as long as you select restaurants with healthy foods to choose from.