Laura's Lean...Mom's Little Secret!
Before we were moms, we didn’t realize one of the hardest parts of motherhood would be coming up with what to make for dinner Every. Single. Night. Pre-kids, cooking was a hobby, something we enjoyed doing as a break from take-out, completed at our own pace, sometimes with a glass of wine in hand. Now, it can feel more like a chore, done while juggling after school activities, homework and the rest of the pre-bedtime hustle.
That’s why we’re thrilled to partner with Laura’s Lean, a favorite ingredient we’ve been using for years to face the dinner dilemma. See below for 6 reasons Laura’s Lean Ground Beef should be on your standing grocery order, and how Elizabeth Lim, the talented Mom of two behind Beach Cities Moms (who also happens to be an experienced recipe creator) uses it! Plus, her go-to burger recipe for summer grilling.
Lean Ground Beef is Part of a Healthy Diet
Like all lean ground beef, Laura’s Lean Ground Beef is lower in saturated fat than other ground beef that is overall higher in fat. It is also an excellent source of protein. Finally, it contains no added hormones or antibiotics – ever. It’s naturally gluten-free and all of the Laura’s Lean Ground Beef is vegetarian-fed. “As a mom, I always try to buy the healthiest option I can find for the whole family, and lean ground beef is a staple in our house,” says Elizabeth.
You Can Do Almost Anything With It
There are fewer raw ingredients that can be used in as many dishes as lean ground beef. The possibilities are almost endless: pasta, tacos, stuffed peppers, meatballs, and more adventurous recipes like empanadas and Italian lasagna soup.
It Cooks Quickly
Ground beef cooks fast, and conveniently, especially if you employ the Slow Cooker and Instapot. “Laura’s Lean Beef is a wonderful time saver because you don’t have to worry about draining excess fat, saving you the hassle and the time of siphoning off extra oil,” says Elizabeth.
Kids of All Ages Can Easily Eat It
Even if you don’t have picky eaters, it can challenging to cook a meal that everyone from toddlers to teens can enjoy. The smaller bites and easy-to-chew texture of lean ground beef makes it an easy choice for a wide spread of ages. Toddler-friendly dishes like sloppy joes and pasta with meat sauce are perfect for those still learning to chew tougher cuts of meat.
You Can Add Flavor However You’d Like
“Using plenty of seasonings, adding sauces (like BBQ!) and grated onion to your burger mix, or using the beef in a sauce like a Bolognese or curry where there is plenty of moisture are all ways I make the most of the flavor of lean ground beef,” says Elizabeth.
It’s The Perfect Ingredient for Summer Grilling
Summer is *finally* here, and Laura’s Lean is encouraging Moms to man the grill! “There is nothing better than cooking outside with family and friends. I love making sliders and having a toppings bar for everyone to DIY their own burger!” says Elizabeth. Below, see her go-to burger recipe, BBQ Beef Burgers with BBQ Aioli.
BBQ BEEF BURGERS with BBQ AIOLI (makes 4 burgers)
For the Burgers:
• 1 1/2 pounds Laura’s Lean Ground Beef
• 1/2 small yellow onion, grated or minced (use a food processor, vegetable chopper, or handheld grater if you have one!)
• 3 Tablespoons BBQ Sauce
• 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
For the BBQ Aioli:
• 1/3 cup BBQ Sauce
• 1/4 cup your favorite mayo
• Toasted Brioche Buns
• Cheese slices (Swiss or white cheddar work great here)
• Butter lettuce leaves
• Caramelized onions (optional)
• Pickled jalapenos (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, onion, BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper using your hands or a fork until just combined- try not to overwork the meat or it can get tough. Form into 4 patties.
2. Heat a or grill over medium. Cook burgers on each side for about 2-5 minutes, depending on desired doneness. (It works great to check the center with a meat thermometer- you want the center middle to read 145 degrees for a medium burger).
3. Meanwhile, make your aioli by whisking together the BBQ sauce and mayo.
4. Serve the burgers on a toasted brioche bun, BBQ aioli, and any other desired toppings.
Recipe/photo credit: Elizabeth Lim of Beach Cities Moms
Article link: Stamford Moms Website