Fall is officially here and in full swing! Fall is definitely my favorite season because it is such a great time to get outside and be active. Take advantage of those opportunities to have fun while staying active. Here are some ideas:
• Go for a hike or nature walk and admire the changing leaves. Between the beautiful weather and the gorgeous leaves, there is no better time for a hike than the fall.
• Get out and toss a football. Growing up in the southeast, fall means football. Instead of just watching football on TV, get outside and play a little yourself!
• Visit a fall festival. Take advantage of the gorgeous fall weather and head outside for a fair or festival.
• Go to a corn maze. You can get some good walking in at a corn maze (especially if you are not all that good at finding your way through it!).
• Get your pumpkins at a pumpkin patch instead of at the grocery store. Visiting a pumpkin patch is a great way to get some activity in while supporting a local farmer or organization.
• Go apple picking. Not only does this provide an opportunity for physical activity, you get to leave with a bunch of yummy apples!
• Work outside in the yard. While this may not be on the top of your “fall fun” list, it is a great way to burn some calories! You can burn more than 150 calories in 30 minutes of raking and bagging leaves, more than 200 calories in 30 minutes of wood chopping, and more than 125 calories using a leaf blower.
• Sign up for a 5K or 1-mile fun run/walk. Often times this can help you stick with your exercise routine knowing that you are working towards a goal of a race. Fall is a popular time for these runs, so you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding one! (If you really want to have some fun, look into a “Turkey Trot” on Thanksgiving morning and get a jump start at burning of your turkey dinner!)