1 pound Laura's Lean Beef Ribeye Steak (May substitute strip, sirloin, or flank)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 medium-hot Poblano pepper (dark green and triangular)
1 medium yellow onion
8 fat-free flour tortillas
1. At least two hours before dinner, dust a 1-pound Laura's Lean Beef ribeye steak with freshly ground black pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Let sit in refrigerator so spice flavors can penetrate the meat.
2. Cut the peppers into large segments, discarding the ribs and seeds. Next, cut onion into thick slices, making sure not to pull onion rings apart.
3. Prepare grill and adjust heat accordingly.
4. Place peppers and onion slices on grill and cover. Roast peppers by turning frequently until they are covered with dark spots, but not burnt. Cook onion slices until brown, being sure not to char.
5. Remove peppers and onion slices from grill. After allowing the peppers to cool 3-4 minutes, pull off the waxy-papery skins. Slice the peppers crosswise into strips. Next, take the onion slices and break into rings. Mix the peppers and onions in a serving bowl.
6. Place Laura's Lean Beef ribeye on grill, turning frequently. (Note: Laura's Lean Beef cooks in 1/3 less time.)
7. Warm eight fat-free tortillas on the edge of the grill, keeping them away from direct heat, so they warm and soften but don't dry out or turn crisp.
8. After cooking, remove steak from grill and cut diagonally into thin slices. Roll several slices of steak and a share of the peppers and onions into tortillas and serve.
Makes 4 servings
Cooking Tip: It is important to let the dry rub of spices penetrate the meat. It not only tenderizes the meat, but also adds extra flavor. For a short cut, peppers don't have to be peeled.
Cooking Tip: To help keep the meat moist when grilling, use the cover on your grill during part or all of the cook time to help lock in flavorful juices. If your grill doesn’t have a cover, improvise by putting a large, disposable foil roasting pan over the food.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
Using Laura's Lean Ribeye
CALORIES 334 (24% from fat); FAT 9.2g (sat 3.5g); PROTEIN 29.4g; CARB 35.0g; FIBER 14.3g; CHOL 60mg; IRON 10.7mg; SODIUM 426mg.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch; 1 vegetable; 3 lean meat