Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 cup cooked orzo pasta, (about 1/2 cup uncooked)
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1/2 cup diced tomato
2 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 large tomatoes
1/2 pound Laura’s 92% Lean Ground Beef or 96% Lean Ground Round
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese with garlic and herbs
1. Combine orzo and next 9 ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
2. Cut a 1/4-inch slice from top of each tomato; scoop out pulp into a bowl, leaving shells intact. Place shells upside down on paper towels to drain.
3. Cook beef and shallots in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or beef is browned; drain. Toss beef mixture into orzo mixture; add cheese, stirring well.
4. Stuff tomatoes with beef mixture in each tomato. Place in a lightly greased 11-x-7-inch baking dish.
5. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.
Makes 6 servings.
Cooking Tip: Fresh tomatoes are best in the warm summer months. To help the tomatoes to keep their shape while baking, use greased ramekins, a muffin tin or small oven proof bowls.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
Using Laura's 92% Lean Ground Beef
CALORIES 200 (28% from fat); FAT 6.7g (sat 3.0g); PROTEIN 13.0g; CARB 25.2g; FIBER 2.8g; CHOL 31mg; IRON 2.4mg; SODIUM 376mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch; 2 vegetable; 1 high fat meat
Using Laura's 96% Lean Ground Round
CALORIES 194 (23% from fat); FAT 5.2g (sat 2.6g); PROTEIN 14.0g; CARB 25.2g; FIBER 2.8g; CHOL 31mg; IRON 1.8mg; SODIUM 381mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch; 2 vegetable; 1 medium fat meat