Today is the first day of Spring – Woo Hoo! Are you bored with your indoor exercise routine? Be bored no more … Spring is here and the warmer weather brings many opportunities to get outside and be active! Not only is exercising outside a nice change of pace from your indoor winter workouts, some studies show that exercising outdoors actually comes with some additional mental health benefits when compared to exercising indoors. These benefits include greater decreases in tension, anger, and depression, and increased energy after a workout in a natural outdoor environment. Here are some ways to help you get outside and enjoy a Spring season full of fitness and rejuvenation compliments of the great outdoors!
• Walk outside on your lunch break. Keep a pair of walking shoes at work so that you can get outside and get some walking in while enjoying some fresh air. It’s good for your body and for your mind!
• Take advantage of walking and hiking trails near you. Look online or ask around for walking paths or hiking trails close by. I find that it makes exercise even more enjoyable when you have beautiful wildlife and scenery around you.
• Make exercising outdoors part of spending time with your kids. Go for family walks in the neighborhood, take a nature hike, or go roller skating on an outdoor path.
• Use your time wisely at your child’s baseball practices. Instead of sitting in the stands at your child’s practice, make some laps around the field so that you can get some exercise while keeping your eye on the field.
• Join a flag football or soccer team. Many churches, workplaces, and local rec centers offer adult rec sports this time of year. Rec sports are a great way to be active without even thinking about it!
• Embrace daylight savings time. It is lighter later, meaning that it will be easier to get some outdoor exercise after work. I know the feeling of just wanting to come home and plop down on the couch after a long day, but getting outside and exercising after work is a great way to de-stress from the day!
• Get out in the yard and work those muscles. Enjoy the outdoors while getting your strength training in! Do lunges down the length of your driveway and use your front steps for push-ups, tricep dips, and calf raises. You can even fit these in while the kids are playing in the yard!
What are some of your favorite ways to take advantage of Spring while getting your exercise in? Share your ideas in the comments section below!