I am making a concerted effort to try something new at least once a week, and this week, it’s beet greens. Well, to be honest, we’ve been eating them at least once a week for the past three weeks, ever since the farmer selling the beets asked whether or not I wanted the greens left on the bunch of beets she was selling me. I’ve had them roasted with a touch of oil and salt, where they are a bit like chips (no, really, they are!) and I’ve done a quick sauté, which was a nice side dish. This week, I’m using up some leftover eye of round (use any cooked beef you have; even sauté up a pound of ground beef for this if you like) and pulling in some Mediterranean flavors with raisins and a splash of balsamic—a sweet and sour note with the beet greens, some meltingly tender beef stirred in and served over a bit of pasta. And note—unlike many other greens, beet greens are surprisingly tender and sweet and do not need long cooking. This week—try something new. Try beet greens. You can thank me next week.
Prep time: About 5 minutes
Cook time: About 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large bunch beet greens, wash and chopped (include some stems)—about 8 cups
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/3 cup yellow raisins
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 12 ounces cooked Laura’s Lean Beef
- 3 cups hot, cooked pasta
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1. (If you are cooking pasta, put water on to boil first and get pasta into water while you are cooking the beet greens.) Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallion and cook 1 minute. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add beet greens to the skillet and let them cook down a bit. Add raisins and stock, simmer about 5 minutes. Add balsamic and mix well, letting balsamic reduce slightly. Stir in beef and cook until heated through.
2. Place 1/2 cup hot, cooked pasta in each of 6 bowls and divide beef and beet greens mixture among the bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sliced almonds.
Nutrition information for 1/2 cup pasta with heaping 1/2 cup beet greens and beef mixture:
Calories 297; Calories from Fat 67 (22% from Fat); Fat 8g; Saturated Fat 2g; Cholesterol 33mg; Sodium 211mg; Carbohydrate 35mg; Fiber 4g; Protein 24g; Vitamin A 66%; Vitamin C 29%; Calcium 10%; Iron 23%.