This is our take on a classic. Helpful hint: use soft corn tortillas, not flour tortillas, which get gummy in the soup. The tortilla strips act like noodles. I love using corn on the cob and getting a little extra flavor from the cobs themselves, but you don’t have to do this. A drained can of corn will serve in place of corn on the cob.
Prep Time: About 15 minutes
Cook Time: About 20 minutes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced
1 large sweet red pepper, diced
2 ears of corn, kernels removed, cobs saved
1 clove garlic
1 pound Laura’s 92% Lean Ground Beef
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
6 cups chicken stock
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
6 (6-inch) corn tortillas cut into half, then cut into 1/2-inch strips
Juice of 1 lime
3/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided in half
1 avocado, diced
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
1. Heat butter and oil in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper and corn kernels to pot and cook, stirring, until the vegetables start to brown. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add ground beef and stir into vegetables, breaking beef up. Sprinkle chipotle powder, chili powder and oregano over the beef. Cook until pink is gone from ground beef.
2. Add stock to pot, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Add reserved corn cobs, tomatoes and white beans. Bring all to boil, reduce to simmer and cook 10 minutes.
3. Stir tortilla strips into soup. Cook another 5 minutes.
4. Remove soup from heat. Remove and discard corn cobs. Stir in lime juice and half of chopped cilantro.
5. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top each portion with additional cilantro, some avocado, 1 tablespoon sour cream and a bit of grated cheddar cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving (1 very generous cup of soup plus garnishes):
Calories 312; Calories from Fat 113 (36% from Fat); Fat 13g; Saturated Fat 5g; Cholesterol 29mg; Sodium 441mg; Carbohydrate 35g; Fiber 6g; Protein 17g; Vitamin A 29%; Vitamin C 66%; Calcium 18%; Iron 20%
Don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Pinterest! If you have friends that might enjoy, make sure to tell them about us! Aren’t receiving our newsletter? Be sure to sign up on our website at www.laurasleanbeef.com and receive an instant coupon.